Saturday, June 14, 2014

Trip to Ireland: Afternoon of Day 1

The Cliffs of Moher is one of the sites that I was looking forward to seeing in Ireland.  My fingers were crossed the whole plane ride over, hoping that we would get a clear beautiful day.  It looks like God was smiling down on us today. 



So I should admit that I was a woman on a mission, dragging my father from one side of the cliffs to the other to get the best pictures while the sun was still out.  I was really ecstatic to see O'Brien tower at the top of the cliffs. 


My understanding of the weather in Ireland, is that it is quite like summer showers of the summer.  The clouds come rushing in and before you know it, the rain is pouring down.  So i needed to take advantage of the clear skye while I could.  


These four pictures are panoramic compositions, I was able to  merge a series of pictures that I took that day.  As always, the perspective is hopelessly wrong, but they are as close to what I saw as I could manage.  



There are places that we go, where the picture is already set up for you, all you have to do is click the shutter.  This was one of those days.  


I took quite a few pictures of O'Brien Tower up close, and I am sure that one day I will take the time to edit out the scaffolding.  But for today, I am happy with this picture as it is.  It is real. 


Now my mission of the day was to see a puffin.  I stopped every person who worked at the cliffs to find out the best place to see a puffin.  Finally when I had found the best spot I looked over the cliff and saw nothing.  The ranger took out his binoculars and tried to point out a couple of puffins, but for the life of me, I could not see them.  I wound up taking hundreds of pictures instead, hoping to have captured a picture of a puffin.


I am pretty sure that these are puffins, but one can never be too sure.  The quality of the pictures are awful, but that is because I had to crop these pictures to pieces to find a glimpse of a puffin.  


Finally we stopped in the Burren, in county claire.  The area is so rocky, and not what I was expecting when I pictured the fields of Ireland.  


This structure is called the Poulnabrone and it is a tomb that was built in the neolithic period.  It was breathtaking to witness. 


What I loved most of all, were those little purple flowers that grew in the crevices between the rocks. 





This is a better view of the rocky terrain.

Finally, I will leave you with my very first sheep picture.  The sheep were plentiful and I loved them all. 

Love Always,

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment