Saturday, February 18, 2012

Architecture- Photography Project Week 1, Day 2

St. Michaels, here I come!!!!  Because the weather was amazing again today, I decided to take advantage and go down to St. Michaels for the day.  I had never been there before, but I have been dying to see the Hooper Strait Lighthouse.  



The main street is filled with cute shops.  I loved these red signs that were tacked to all the power line polls all over town.  I am assuming that they are a Valentines tradition of some kind.  I went early in the morning, so I am definitely going to go back and visit one of the many sweet shops around town.


The Church of Christ really spoke to me.  This is the third church, in a series of churches to have been built on this site.  The original church was built in 1677, and the latest church was rebuilt in 1878.  This facade has a ton of character.


As I was walking through the marina, to the Chesapeake Bay Maritime Museum I noticed a series of houses right on the water.  This home was built in the 1800s, and had a perfect view of the water.


This drawbridge was moved from its original location, and is now placed at the entrance of the maritime Museum.

Ok, so onto the main show.  The main reason for going to St. Michaels was to see the lighthouse, so imagine my chagrin when I saw these huge ugly excavator around the perimeter of the lighthouse.  :  (


Not to be easily dissuaded, I decided to snap a quick picture of what the lighthouse really looked like that day, and then I wandered around the sight, trying to find dynamic ways to capture the lighthouse, and not the construction equipment.


This is the main entrance to the lighthouse.  The Hooper Strait lighthouse is a screw-pile lighthouse; only three screw-pile lighthouses are still intact in MD today.  The Thomas point light, which is still in it's original location in Annapolis, MD, and the Hooper Strait lighthouse, which has been moved from it's original position in the back, and rebuilt in St. Michaels.

As you can see, there is a bunch of lumber in the picture, but I still love seeing the front facade.


The screw-pile lighthouses were screwed directly into the soil beneigth the bay, for this reason many were lost in storms and harsh winters.  Two coast guards would be on the lighthouse at all times, and supplies would be delivered once a week.  All of their drinking and bathing water was collect from the roof when it rained.

I took this picture from a dock, and thankfully I was able to crop out all of the equipment.  I love that you can see the water, as the lighthouse is now planted on land.


This happens to be my favorite picture of the day; I love how the solar flares direct your attention to the light house.  While there are still a few excavators in the picture, they are not in the foreground, and they can be edited out if I chose to do so.

Today was an amazing day, beautiful weather, no traffic, and another wonder Maryland site to be seen. :  )  I may not have gotten the perfect picture today, but I can go back and hopefully not have as many obstacles.

Until Tomorrow,

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment