Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hello All,

This is my first post on blogger and for the last five years I have been working on my photography.

My first camera would have been a yellow, point and shoot, one time use film camera.  My senior year of college my father bought me a Nikon D-80 camera when he saw the photos I was producing for photography class.  Then within the last three years my father took my D-80 and replaced it will a D-300. Since the switch I have had some trouble acclimating to a camera with absolutely no presets ( the D-300 does have the capability of having presets, if you create them.)

I started this blog so that I can challange myself to work on photography skills.  I tend to take thousands of pictures on my two week vacations each years, but I take only a few hundred pictures for the rest of the year.  Yesterday I bought Lee Frost's, 50-Photo projects book and I hope that I can complete one of these 50 projects per week and finish before the year is up, depending on whether I stick to the program.  Hopefully the challenge will light a fire beneith me, and I will get better at taking pictures with Big Bertha (the d-300.)

This week I will Focus on the first challenge, ARCHITECTURE!!!!  Qlthough it was raining today, I did take a few pictures.  Each week I will have one week, beginning on Friday to complete the weeks assignment.






These pictures were taken in Fell Point, MD.  It was pooring, so no matter how often I cleaned the droplets off the lens, there was always distortions.  In the end, I fell in love with the distoritions in these pictures.  I used Photoshop Elements to edit these pictures, and I used Pioneer woman's free action, Colorized to finish these pics.


I'm not sure if anyone but myself is going to see this blog, but if anyone else does, I am sure that you will be curious about the name.  I chose the name Pompeii Penguin for two reasons.  Firstly, one of my favorite pictures that I have ever take, was in Pompeii, Italy.  I will do a post just for that picture, and other Italy pictures in the future.  I also remember a children's book that my mother read to me as a child, A Wish for Wings that work.  It was about a penguin that asked Santa to help him fly.   He was sure that Santa would make his wings fly, but in the end Santa showed him what amazing tricks his wings could do, and on Christmas day the little penguin flew with the help of his friends.  I have no idea as to what I am going to do with my life, but I am sure that with the help of my friends, family, and a stubborn Irish spirit, I know I'll be fine.  So this name means a lot to me.

Love Always,

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment