Sunday, February 19, 2012

Serene Sunday

For my first Serene Sunday, I am going to begin looking back at previous trips I have been on.  On my first trip to Europe, I used my film camera, so I don't have any of those pictures on my computer.

So I am going to begin with my second trip to Europe, which began in Rome, Italy.  This was a school trip that I took my senior year of College, and I was able to go with a few very good school friends.


This was the first picture that I took in Italy, and it turned out to be one of my favorites from the trip.  It is an archway right next to the Colosseum.  I love how the light hit the Arch of Constantine.


I loved the Colosseum, it was huge and colossal and over whelming.  I can't imagine what it must be like to live in the same city as some of these amazing pieces of history.




The next day we were off to Vatican City.


One of my favorite things to visit when I am in other countries are the guards.  I love how colorful and ornate this uniform is.


My favorite part of Vatican City was St. Peters Basilica.  We were able to go inside and see the actual church.  On the floor they have markings showing how big other enormous churches are in comparison to St. Peters.  We were also able to go up onto the roof for amazing views, and we went down to the caticombs beneath.



These two pictures were taken on top of the Basilica, it is the main roof, and from here we were able to climb up into the dome.


The stairs up to the top of the dome start out with the walls perpendicular to the stairs.  As you climb higher and higher, the walls start to curve in with the dome.  I was surprised by how many stair cases there were, everyone was a little bit winded by the time we got to the top.


And this was the gorgeous view of Rome from the Dome.  There was a good bit of cloud cover, but I still love the look of the square.


Each Sunday I am going to either post past vacation pictures, or I may re-edit pictures that I didn't have time to perfect.  I got lazy when it came to documenting my trips, so this will give me a chance to write down all that I can remember.

Til next time,

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment