Sunday, September 1, 2013

Western Maryland Scenic Railroad

Today I made a trip to Cumberland, MD, which is the farthest west I have ever been in Maryland.  The purpose of the trip was to see the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad.

 The railroad has a steam engine train and I was dying to get some pictures of it.  This is a picture of a caboose that I saw while I was waiting.
 This is the lovely train pulling into the station, it was huge.

 Having never seen a steam engine train before, I was truly surprised by how much smoke and steam was coming out of this train.

 This is the driver who was refilling the train with both steam and coal while the passengers got on.

 It was hotter then hades out, I can't imagine how hot he must have been in that engine.

 This was one of the coolest things that I have seen in a while.
 Now is the time that I have to say, I didn't do enough research before going.  I thought that the train was going to be coming around another bend.  I raced over to a cemetery that overlooked the train tracks. I set up my tripod, and was giddy with excitement.

Then I had to quickly change my stance to get a picture of the train coming around the bend.  While I like these pictures, I am going to have to come back and get the pictures that I was envisioning. 
 Heres the train coming a bit closer around the bend.

Finally here is the train coming directly passed me.  To set the picture, I am standing in the middle of a bush, cast the tripod to the side, and am desperately trying to quickly set my camera to expose for the train driver. 

I will have to go back to cumberland, I didn't take any pictures of the town, or of the parks on the way, so this is definitely part one of two. 

Love Always,

Meg

2 comments:

  1. It's a grandios steam Lok!
    I like your blog, I've it found in this morning... I will often visit you :-)

    ReplyDelete